Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Resolution

Can we just ignore the fact that it has been a month since I last blogged?? I have about 618 pictures to document. I will definitely weed them out, but please Bear (Bare?) with me while I try to catch up....
I wasn't sure where to begin, so I decided I would start off with my goal for the 2010 (really??) year.
I personally love January. I love the time of reflection, inspiration, and need for self improvement. I love getting out that clean sheet of paper and filling it up with all the goals I'm going to achieve over the next 365. I love how afterwards I walk away already feeling like a new person... imagining how over the next 12 months I will mysteriously evolve into a kinder, healthier, best mother ever, piano playing, six pack- killer abs kind of a person. Yep. I love January!! The only down fall is that every new year I am reminded that I NEVER accomplished the goals I set for the previous year. It's true. My goals never make it past the paper. I mean what was I thinking with last year's
  • floss regularly and
  • learn to crochet
I think I flossed three times all year (miracle I have never had a cavity), and I bought a crochet book from JoAnn's (never touched it). 
So with these failures, I have decided to scale back and only set ONE goal. I have been thinking, reflecting, and (not to get too relief society on you) praying lots about it. I have had quite a few things pop into my head...the usual workout everyday, eat organic, read scriptures for an hour daily, learn a new language (not really), become a yogi etc. Of course, none of these have held up, so I continued to narrow down what I really wanted to accomplish this year... 
My answer came a couple of weeks ago when Shawn and I took all three kids to Applebee's for dinner (pause for some admiration...thank you). The kids were being crazy as usual, and I was starting to sweat as I noticed some dirty looks. An older couple sitting in a booth next to us were getting the brunt of our chaos, and I felt a little guilty that we were destroying their night out. While I was trying to nurse (what else?) and Shawn was preoccupied calming down Lex, I noticed the Rockstar leaning over his seat into theirs. He was yelling/singing and I'm pretty sure I saw him poke the woman in the head with his french fry. ((Oh no! Why did we even attempt this??)) I said one of those little prayers that this couple had had kids once upon a time, and more importantly, actually remembered what it was like. The woman turned around and smiled (phew) and played little games with Roscoe for the next ten minutes while we shoved food into our mouths. Bless her! As we were leaving, apologizing, and thanking this sweet couple, they said something that struck me so hard. 
 "You will miss these years so much. Enjoy every second, because I promise you it all goes entirely too fast." 
I couldn't stop thinking about it for the next few nights while I held gretta completely sleep deprived....Enjoy it. Of course, that wasn't the first time I had heard that line. I think every depleted mother has heard it over a hundred times. Usually, it makes me a little annoyed when some well rested 50 something tells me this. Makes me want to hand over (or throw) my screaming 2 year old who won't eat, whiny preschooler yanking on my arm, and baby that will not sleep and tell them to go ahead and enjoy(!) while I go get a pedicure (or heck just go to wal mart by myself). But this time I really heard what they were saying and I believed it. It is all going way too fast. I can't believe I am a mother of three, and I have a little one who will be headed to Kindergarden soon (sniff). My life feels a little on fast forward, and I feel so spread thin with three children, each needing all of me. I know that I enjoy most days, but recently I have found myself making empty promises while I try to get all the cooking, cleaning, feeding, errands, and socializing done. At the end of the day I feel awful that we never got to the play dough or library books. So with all this reflecting, I have decided that this year I will try to focus each day on the present. I think I will wrestle more and pretend monsters, play lots of candyland and bake cookies, and spend more time in the rocker adoring the cutest babe in creation. I am going to try to stop all the "just a minutes" and "hold ons" and try to remember that one day I am going to miss all the tugging on my arm, sleepless nights, and complete chaos. choke. I better stop before the tears come. I'll just keep it simple....
Kristin's 2010 Goals:
  • Enjoy it.
(and maybe get some killer abs too) :)

P.S. Roscoe swallowed a penny the other day...still waiting for its debut...enjoying....

24 comments:

Jenny Axford Cook said...

I love your blog! You have such a cute family and it's really great to see how you're doing.

Kristal said...

Now that I can come to your blog and see your sweet baby without crying, I think I'll leave a comment. You are such a good mom and life does get hectic. It is a great idea to try and "enjoy" what we can of these chaotic moments. When can we come over?

Anonymous said...

Wow Kristin. I think I say this a lot but this was my favorite post of yours! You took the words right out of my mouth!-of course you made it sound way better and funnier. But you explained perfectly how I think every mother feels. I want to enjoy my kids but it is so easy to get caught up in life. I always have to reevaluate my life and parenting.
This post was such an inspiration(so cheesy that I just said that)
k-now I have to get back to Adynne who is crying at my leg and Lil who wants dinner.-I told them just a minute.

Becky said...

Seriously, beautiful post. As I read this with tears in my eyes I was inspired to be a better mother. You really are an amazing woman. Plus you made me realize I too need to be more serious about goals. The only one I can't get out of my mind is "lose the baby weight, plus some." Thanks for the insight.

Amy said...

I'm thankful for your friendship. What an amazing example you are to me. You inspire me to be better. Thanks!

Rachel said...

I'm tellin ya, you need to go write a book! Goodness Gracious girl! I just love ya to pieces and think you are the greatest person I've ever known!
XO

Rachel said...

....and you're a hot mama! and if you come across that 6 pack of abs, send some my way....

Sam and Lacey said...

Love you! Good job. Thanks for te reminder. As I was saying goodbye to Ava I made the promise that I would not let another day go bye without enjoying my kids here. Well, there are days that I fall short. Dang. I am not perfect. I love your motto. ENJOY.

don't forget to throw in some time for the bachelor. :)

Dana said...

Love it!! So true, so wise. Can't wait to come see you and enjoy our kiddos while we let them play together so we can chat :). Check your facebook for the day.

Lacey said...

We have the hardest job in the world! Finding time for mommy time is hard but very necessary (remember that). I just took a walk with Brooklyn this morning and just listened to her talk about EVERYTHING and I just listened and I was so shocked by how much she knew about the ocean or bugs. I too, need to take more time to just listened and be in the moment. I have already started the six pack goal and do about 300 a day. It is possible I swear!!!

Chelsey said...

Glad your back! Yes we need to get together, it's been a long time. Let me talk to Taylor about dinner on sunday. He has class every night right now from 6-10 and sunday is the only day he has off, so sunday is the best day for us. I will let you know asap.

erica said...

great post. great reminder. i too have been feeling this same way. i'm trying to take all this time in with just me and ivy before the baby comes - feeling a little guilt that its never going to be just the two of us. change is good though!! we really can't wait.

haha, good luck with the penny. that should be interesting!

Stefanie said...

I needed to hear that message today..seriously was considering putting my kid down for a nap by 9a.m.. That is a fantastic resolution, I might steal it.

Terry said...

I was there when he swallowed the penny or at least upstairs. He was upset that his money was gone. Mine's gone and unfortunately I didn't swallow it. He is my little buddy. Love to all terry

Amanda said...

that is such great advice for all of us to do. These moments will be missed.
congratulations also to surviving a sit down dinner as a family at a restaurant. Hats off to you and shawn

Jodi Rae said...

I LOVE this post! Enjoy is actually my "word of the year" as well. Maybe because we are in the same boat :). I read your blog for inspiration on getting ready for 3 kids! You are awesome and beautiful. I would also very much enjoy some awesome abs this year as well. They are firm right now...haha! Atleast for another 8 weeks ;). You rock. Plain and simple.

The Colvins said...

Beautiful...straight from the heart. I've been watching home videos today of the kids...it does go by way to fast...I'll think I'll make that my new goal too:)

eMily eLiZaBeTh said...

love it and you my friend

Anna said...

sweet. sweet.
beautifully said.

and please blog about the penny reappearing. ;)

*/ Jillian said...

great post krist! SO SO TRUE! Hope we all remember to do this when we are ready to pull our hair out.haha :)

Karl & Leslie said...

You are so awesome! It takes a minute to get back into the swing of things. But once you get there it's easy again:) Enjoying your kids is a great goal. Just watching Navi grow in the last 3 months is crazy and how much she can do. I totally forgot about how cute it is when your baby cues at you I love it! so sweet!
It's something about babies that bring a sweetness in the home.

Janette said...

Love the post! I agree with you, They do grow too fast. Roscoe cracks me up though he is so much like Boston. thanks for always having such inspiring posts too. oh also we are so down with the 2011 cruise.

Burke family said...

I feel the exact same way! My mom sent me a quote she read in the Ensign a little while back, that's helped me to remember how precious and fleeting this time is.

"As my children get older, I realize there are good and bad parts to each stage of our lives together. Many of the challenges pass with time. So do some of the joys. I try to take stock of the joys, to imprint them on my memory for the days when the long, sleepless nights have passed - and with them the sweet, soft smell of a baby's warm head against my neck."

I look at Jordan and realize how quickly my little colicky baby grew up. It's helped me appreciate those midnight feedings with my sweet baby, her tiny hands holding on, and her little headed nestled in - instead of thinking of the sheer exhaustion that makes me feel more like a zombie than a real person. I think right now I'll take that over the worry and sleepless nights that will undoubtedly come when they are teenagers! :)

Good luck little mommy! You are too cute!

~Cmac~ said...

I think that is a very worthwhile resolution. Can I copy you? I know it is weird that I'm actually asking - usually I just go ahead and copy you. :) You cracked me up with the flossing resolution. I swear I make that resolution every year with the same results!