I love my weekends with Shawn home and the precious time we get to spend as a whole family, but after a long week of, let's face it, exhausting motherhood, I was actually looking forward to some quite time by myself. I showed up to her house at 7:30 with a big bag of books to read (totally took me back to being 13) and wished them well on their date. Her kiddos were sound asleep, her home spotless, and there was the prettiest music playing from the kitchen. I honestly felt like I was at a spa. {yes she is totally inspiring. kids in bed by 7:30?? Never happens at my house.} I curled up on the couch and read from Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. {amazing by the way} I read about "the basics" of Christianity: forgiveness, charity, hope, faith, and humility. I love the way he writes and really makes you see the importance of basic principles and virtues. I was completely taken away in my thoughts and really just inspired to be better, to serve more, to forgive, to not be boggled down with insecurities, to love, and to have faith.
I returned home around 11, hoping that against all odds, my sleep deprived husband would be awake enough to listen to my usual babbling about my thoughts and ideas. I opened the garage door and was surprised with little candles lit all over the house, a bubble bath, and a complete massage to follow. I had to hold the tears back as I thought about one of my favorite lines in Lewis's chapter on Humility:
"The real test of being in the presence of God is that you forget about yourself altogether."
What an example Shawn is to me. He is so physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausted, yet he continually thinks of me and my needs.
I learned a lot last night.
I am grateful.


18 comments:
Shawn is incredible. You inspired me to pick up Mere Christianity again - you are amazing - I love you!
What a sweet hubby!
Mere Christianity is one of my all time favorite books... I love CS Lewis and his journey - inspiring!
What a great Night... I'm jealous.. it's hard to just get that quiet time and enjoy a good book but when you do ... ya definitely don't take it for grantite huh :D shawn is so sweet .. I love that he did that for you and you were able to have an even better night! You're a great woman and have always been inspiring to me so thank you :)
I'm hoping Sean will read this blog and get some ideas.
I loved this poast lady, you painted such a perfect picture. nothing like alone time for mommies to regroup and breathe! shaun your a pimp keep up the good work.
Holy Moly Girl, Shawn so spoils you! I would get home to Jason playing War Craft on the computer and all I'd be ablt to get out of him would be a "hi".
That sounds like a heavenly night! You definately have to cherish those 'cause they don't come around too often. Would Thursday work at around 10?
Your whole night sounds delightful. I'm sure Shawn does so much for you because you do so much for him. What a good team.
Wowza. Good work on finding that man! ;) You deserved a night off!
love ya!
Ya, you are just a little spoiled I would say:) That was sweet of him. I am going to start that book after talking to you today. That is funny that you went and babysat-it would totally feel like being 13 all over again- but I think you enjoyed that silence a little more than at age thirteen:)
you totally deserved it. I think I am going to have to read that book. It sounds like a good one.
you totally deserved it. I think I am going to have to read that book. It sounds like a good one.
love that post Krist, seriously it was perfect. you are one lucky girl that's for sure!
That Shawn is a sweetheart. Luke really needs to learn by his example! That was such a sweet post.
Are you going to come visit me in Sun Valley this summer and get your baby fix or what???
gees! what a great husband Shawn is. Maybe I'll let Nate read this post..ha ha
Hey Kristen I was just wondering if by chance you had ever made a book via blurb? I have been attempting and to no one's surprise I have had some difficulty. Just had a few questions . . .
that is one thing I did for you for the hundred things you do for me. I love you so much kristin.
Post a Comment