That's right.
I am pregnant.
I'll be honest, it was an "oh crap" moment in the Patten home the night I took my second pregnancy test from All a Dollar. (seriously, who pays 19.99 for First Response??) We were so shocked! We were planning on waiting a good solid year before we even thought about adding onto our little family. You know, some time to get some more school under way, save up some money, enjoy our two kiddos a while longer, and especially for me to gain some serious poundage. For the first few days, I cried quite a bit terrified of getting as sick as I did with Roscoe and just feeling scared and not ready, but then I went and met with my midwife (LOVE her). She did an ultrasound, and I got to see that little pea in a pod's tiny heart beating. It changed it all for me, and I fell head over heels in love.
What a miracle...
SO here I am at 8 weeks throwing up, inhaling Zofran, accepting help at any offer, laying on the couch every waking moment, letting my house COMPLETELY go as well as myself, and allowing my children to watch 8+hours of tv a day. I really am not exaggerating. The only consolation I get as a mother these days is telling myself multiple times a day, "At least, you're not a druggie mom Kristin" or "Don't worry. You'll pay for counseling for your kids later. It's fine if you pop in Planet Earth, so they can see lion's devour a baby elephant. You saw worse things, and you know that you can't stand up to change out the dvd. They'll get over it." Sad huh. They also eat lots of junk food these days.
Lexi talks about her "baby sister" everyday. It is so cute to see her hug my belly and sing Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Roscoe definitely does not have a clue, and he is in for a rude awakening. The kid still gets rocked every night! What are we going to do?? We are in the market for a minivan. That's right, we have to get a new car. I am all about the mom van's, but Shawn is thinking more like a "hot chick" SUV. We shall see who wins. I am trying to set little goals for myself everyday to try to stay functional. For instance today, my to do list consisted of blogging this post and washing my hair. I've accomplished one of the two.
We announced the news to my family by hiding a little note in Lexi's baby album that she carries all around these days. My mom was shocked and probably just as nervous as we were. She is heading down tomorrow to help out. Love you mom and dad.


44 comments:
congratulations krisitn,
I am sorry you are feeling sick. I guess things really are out of our hands. Just know that this will all pass. By the time the baby comes lexi will be older. Roscoe will be older and shawn will be a little closer to being done.
That little baby is so lucky to be coming to such a happy home filled with such love. I think I will be out in utah in a month or so so let me get your kids and my kids together for some fun.
Hang in there. IF it is any means anything it was easier to adjust to three then to two for me.
As for the car situation I say go for a minivan but make sure it has all the bells and whistles that you want. I have a hyundai entourage and I love it. I thought if I am going to do this can thing I am getting all the luxuries. That way I dont feel so dorky in a mini van.
You are going to get through this great. IF you ever want to talk or anything call me. I know what it is like to have three small kids close so seriously call if you need anything.
808-625-3653
Hang in there
Amanda
Dude, I love that you found out on a dollar store test. i did too...its the only way man. kristen, sereously let me take your kids for an afternoon ok..i cant imagine the sickness and two kids. so whenever ya need i can help ya:) congrats girlie
:)
I am here for you a hop, skip, and jump away! Same boat so we can throw our kids in front of the TV together. Play dates galore, just call! LMK
Congratulations! If anyone can handle another kiddo, I would definitely say it would be you, hands down. Although you may not think you have it all together it really appears differently. You are an amazing mother!
HOlla! Another bun in your little oven! LOVE it!
and I love the All-a-dollar test.
Invest in a mini-van. I dont care what anyone says. You will be a hottie in what ever you drive.
When you are not puking... lets say first weekend in May... We get together. A little birdie told me Becky will be in town. Plan on it ok?????
Congratulations!!! I am so sorry you are feeling sick-o :( I think you are the 4th friend to announce her pregnancy this week! There is something in the air for sure ;)
Congrats! that is so exciting planned or not. I am so sorry to hear you are sick again,i just barely started feeling better at 13 weeks. I never knew how sick you could really get being prego until this time and boy do i feel for those who are. I hope you start feeling better soon.
congrats!! very cute ideas on telling the family too! that is very exciting.. hope you get over the sickness soon.
oh and ps.. if you havent gotten the blub/booksmart working for making a blog book... the cutest blog on the block site will soon have them available for people to order.
Oh Kristin! Congrats, I'm really excited for you! But I am also feeling VERY sympathetic for you. All of those sick feelings came rushing back to me as I read your post! It will be so much more exciting when you start feeling better and your kiddos will not remember their mom passed out on the couch! CONGRATS!!! I'm excited to meet the new little Patten.
I am so happy for you!
Yea! I am so excited for you. Sorry you are so sick. I can't imagine what that must be like. That is awesome you are going to a midwife. We will have to chat sometime when you are up to it. I wish I were closer, I would love to help out.
congrats! I think I kind of know what you mean. Boston was a total surprise and shock but we got over it fast because kids are awesome! I hope that you will feel better than you did with Roscoe (i will be praying for you) I am sure next time I see you, you will have a little bump! (I still don't know anyone that looks as good as you do when prego...lucky!)
HOw fun! Congrats! I remember how sick you got with roscoe! the iv and all! not fun...i'm not looking forward to that again either! hang in there...the Lord blesses us with the ability to forget pain when it passes...the best blessing that mothers could have!
OMGOODNESS!! I am in shock I think. I really hope you aren't so sick this time around. Your kids will be fine watching TV for a while. You can only do the best you can, and if that is laying on the couch then so be it. Kids are resilient. Just take it easy and if I can help by coming over then PLEASE call me. No kiddin. Love you and congrats. You'll do fine!
Congrats Kristin and GOOD LUCK!! It's exciting whenever they come...sometimes it just takes a little convincing! ;)
yay! i'm so excited for you...and feeling very sympathetic since i'm in the same boat. life is soooo crapy that first trimester and it feels like your life seriously falls apart. ugh!! but i too just remember that little peanut on the ultrasound and it makes life look a little brighter, even when hanging over the sink puking your guts out. haha and i still think zofran is addicting! jk. it was awesome talking to you the other day...when i start feeling better i'll offer some help. hang in there girl! you are so amazing.
I LOVE YOU SO MUCH BABE AND AM SO EXCITED TO BE HAVING ANOTHER LITTLE KIDDO WITH YOU. I HOPE YOU START TO FEEL BETTER. I FEEL SO BAD THAT YOU ARE WITHERING AWAY AND I CAN'T BE HOME TO HELP MORE. ONE MORE KID GETS THE BEST MOM IN THE WORLD.
so glad the word is out. i couldn't be more happy for you guys! so sorry your feeling like crap...this too shall pass.
Oh not to worry, it is pretty obvious that you are an amazing Mom...what a lucky little one to be coming into your home! Congratulations!
Yay! Congratulations Kristin and Shawn, I am so excited for you! Let us know if we can do anything for you guys, seriously!!!! If you need a baby sitter, someone to help take care of your house, make dinner, give the kids a bath, or whatever let me know, I'm not very far away I will be there in a jiffy! Love you!
Oh i so wish i was there or you were here so i could take your adorable children! i've been thinking about ya and wondering how you are? i figured since i didn't hear back from you, you weren't doing so well. :(
Like i said b4....you and shawn are awesome and amazing parents and that's why you are being blessed with another "suprise"!
I luv u and hope you feel better REALLY soon!
oh yeah, and i say go for a silver "family wagon"
haha
How about how you have the sweetest husband ever. Luke thinks that prego sickness is "just in my head" so you can imagine how sympathetic he is...
I wish we lived closer so I could take your kiddos
Yay, thats great im so exited for you. You have such cute kids you should have lots of them. I realy wish i was down there to help. Im sure the kids will be fine. Reece has to watch tv everyday and im not even preg i cant emagine how it will be when i am. I hate the mommy gilt! love ya wish i was there
Congratulations! Just when you start to think life is settling down and you have a perfect little plan, somehow Heavenly Father always shows us that he is in control and he knows best! :) I'm so sorry you aren't feeling well. That's the worst! Wish I could do something to help.
Congrats! I'm glad to see you are working more on that dozen I suggested you have. (Even though it was a Suprise for you!) I REALLY hope you start feeling better real soon and keep in mind it will all be worth it in the end when you hold your new baby. But hey, in the mean time don't feel guilty about your current status. I'm not pregnant, and the tv is on way too much, and I let my house and myself go more then I should and I have no excuse. love ya!
Oh Kristen COngrats on the baby to come. Sorry you feel so awful. I wish I lived close to you so I could come help you out!
I am sooo excited. Once again we will have kids close in age. I'm almost 13 weeks so your not far behind me. I hope you start feeling better soon. I'm still throwing up daily. I can't even think of a meal that hasn't made me sick. I'm running out of ideas of what to feed myself. And FYI your not a bad mom, I've been doing the exact same thing as you, in fact my kids rarely get the home cooked meals they deserve. Hopefully since I'm entering my second trimester things will get better and my kids will get attention. good luck & get well soon!
I am so happy for you Kristin! Your family is so beautiful and I can tell that your a wonderful mom! Let me know how the transition from 2 to 3 goes.
Congrats!! 9 months is a long time for things to change. So sorry you are sick. Kids are really resillient and can totally handle neglect for a year or so. You crack me up with the druggie mom thing because it is so true...and even some druggie moms turn out decent kids, so no worries. Good luck!
Congrats Kristen and Shawn! I'm so excited for you guys. I wish I was closer so I could help. You are a great mom. Hang in there.
Congrats! I love your post--it's so honest--I've been there--Jackson was a big surprise and I remember thinking "oh crap" myself.
I hope your sickness passes soon--that's the worst part of being pregnant and I know you get terriby sick.
You are such a GREAT mom and don't worry about your kids--I'm sure they are loving being able to watch tv all day and eat whatever they want!:)
Know that I'm thinking of you and you are in my prayers.
I saw this yesterday and wanted to wish you congrats! It can get crazy but honestly I wouldn't have it any other way and you get used to it so fast. The only advice I can give you is to get your kids on a schedule and have them all take a nap at the same time. If that means keeping someone up a little longer than usual it is so worth it. I need that much needed break. Somehow it always works out. You will be fine. It really is not that hard and I LOVE it and you will be shocked at the fact that it is not as hard as you think it is going to be. Seriously! You just get used to it. Buckling 3 kids up in the car gets old, shopping gets tricky (just bring lots of treats, kamryn just walks with me and does great and lexie is old enough to do the same and then tayson and bryn are in the cart. bryn loves being in the cart with all the goodies so that makes it easy). The first little while is an adjustment but then you get on a schedule and the kids get used to everything. I could go on forever. Just have a positive attitude and it will all be fine. Carrying the carseat sucks for awhile but before you know it they are old enough to sit by themselves in the cart. All I can say is enjoy it cause they grow up fast and then you will miss it. It is crazy now, but I just keep telling myself that one day I will be lonely and miss my kids and would give anything to have the craziness back. Wow! Long post! Yes I know a little bit about photoshop but not a whole lot. Still learning. We need to learn together! Hope you start feeling better. Have you tried preggie pops? Those helped me out a little. I found them at motherhood maternity and my doc also gave me some pills to help with the sickness. Talk to your doc. Ok seriously I am done now. Sorry!
Do you need me to come stay?!!! I totally would I am done working next week! You could just vegg out on the couch and I will take care of all the kiddos! Can't wait for patten baby #3, you are an amazing mom and seriously you will just figure it out no prob!
I love it. I hope you don't get too sick and I wish I was closer to help, but you are an awesome mom and can handle a few more kids!!! Love you tons! Congratulations! We'll have to plan on getting together more since our babies will be pretty close.
Congrats! I am so happy for you guys. What an exciting time. Can't wait to meet the new baby!
Krist- I am so dang worried about you. All I have been able to do all day is to think up ways I can get up there. I don't think you can afford to lose another pound. Seriously girl. Can Lexi come live with me? PLEASE!!! I would love to do anything I can to help you. I miss you girl.
Congrats on the new baby. Sorry you are sick. you are definitely a strong lady. Your kids are growing up , they are so cute.
CONGRATULATIONS KRISTEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Actually I have known for a while because we belong to the family we do and secrets don't really exist (though we like to believe it might be possible:)) so anyway I have been dying to congratulate you! Feel fine about being a bum mom for a while - they will not remember a minute of it, seriously!! Love you!!
Sorry you are so sick! I remember how sick you were with Roscoe. Not fun. I wish I was closer also, I could help. Don't worry about the kids, they will survive watching TV. Sometimes, you just have to do that. Take it easy!
So excited for you guys!
Loved how you told us and everyone was so confused for a bit!
I need to come see you soon!
Love you.
We are so excited for you! I am sorry you get so sick. That is not fun at all. My prayers are with you. Lexi is going to be in heaven when her baby bro/sis arrives.
Kristin! I'm so thrilled for you! You're such a good mama! If you weren't, you wouldn't care about any of the things that you can't do right now around your house and for your kiddos! I'm so excited to hear how everything goes for you! I'm glad to hear that you love your midwife too! I hope that you get feeling better soon!Love you girl!
Allie
Kristin We are due at the same time!!! Haha it makes me feel so much better when you say you lay on the couch and let your house go!! I feel awful , but i just can't muster up the energy to do much!! Congrats! Let me know what your having!
Post a Comment