Thursday, April 15, 2010

seedlings

A few weeks ago, the kids and I walked down to the neighbor's house and planted us some seeds. 
We spent the afternoon rolling phonebook pages into little pots, packing soil, sowing seeds (gardener lingo), and misting til our hands cramped. 
Have to admit I was a bit of a skeptic, but Amy and Mia assured me they would turn out.
Turns out they were right. Check out these beauties.

Little Lex has quite the green thumb helping me water several times a day.
She deserves full credit for their survival...always lecturing me that the plants need plenty of drinks and the sun.
yep...even played some classics.
I swear I notice a difference the days they listen to some tunes...and yes I have found myself talking to them a time or two...though I felt a little silly.
Can't wait to get them all in the ground. Hopefully soon if the weather will permit. 
It has been so much fun teaching the kiddos about where our food comes from. 
So amazing what is produced with a tiny seed.
Hopefully, we'll have some bountiful crops this year...last year's garden was a little sad.

Many thanks to Amy for sharing her time and talents as always. 
Doula, nutritionist, neighbor, herbalist, teacher, friend,  sister, mentor. 
Love you!!

3 comments:

Tami said...

What a great idea. They are looking really good already! We think we are going to try to plant some this year too.

erica said...

hahah...chris and i are just looking at this post - he hates to tell you that he watched a mythbusters episode where they busted the myth of plants listening to music to help them grow. i say whatever.
good job on the garden prep. we will be over to reap the benefits!

Kira said...

what a fun idea...love this time of year. lexi sure is cute and seems like such a big helper!