Thursday, April 10, 2008

My Hero

Justin "Uncle Tuft" chillin with Lexi and Roscoe Justin waiting for dinner last Monday
The Boys
I have been blessed to have many heroes in my life: my parents, my grandparents, friends, siblings, and many acquaintences who I have watched experience tremendous trials and bounce back. The most significant hero up to this point in my life is Justin Tuft. Justin has been Shawn's best friend (brother) since the seventh grade, and I am so grateful that I have been able to consider him my brother for the past 4 and 1/2 years. When I married Shawn it is like I got a package deal...Justin just came with him. There was never any explanation, I was just expected to set dinner for three like four nights a week, become an avid ultimate frisbee cheerleader, say "whad up Dawg" like a true St. George thug, figure out a lot of lame inside jokes, and just hang with the "boys". Justin is so hilarious and has a way of making "just sittin here chillin" the most fun thing to do! Seriously anyone that knows Justin feels like he is a member of their family and if you're lucky he really becomes one.
On September 7, 2006 Justin left our house on his Harley and a van hit him head on. He did not have a helmet on and suffered a traumatic brain injury. He was life flighted to Las Vegas (Hell Hole-way too long of a story to go into) Dr.'s told his mom that he had a 1% chance of living through the first night and if he did he would most likely be a vegetable. There were so many people who drove long distances to stay by his side and be with his family while Justin was in a coma fighting extreme brain pressures. Prayers were said, blessings given, a lot of tears shed, and even some laughing while people talked about memories with Justin and jokes he use to tell. Amber (sister) and Kim (mom) were so incredibly strong. I learned so much (and continue to learn) from these two amazing women. I remember Shawn and I praying so hard for Justin to just survive and have the same fun and great personality. No one could even bare to think of him losing that.
Justin was in a coma for over 2 months (finally lifeflighted to SLC-which saved his life) when he finally started responding. Slowly Justin has fought and he has come back. There have been so many doors slammed in his face (especially during improvements) and so many trials that he and his family have had to go through and continue to go through. I mean you think the accident would be enough, but no, there has been so many issues with just simply getting decent therapy. It has opened my eyes to healthcare in this nation. I am grateful to live in this awesome Country, but trust me there are issues, I have seen it first hand and it has been the saddest thing to watch someone (especially our dear friend) get "thrown away" multiple times.
After spending several months in a local nursing home Kim and Amber decided to bring him home where he is now, and they currently pay out of pocket for therapy and basic care.
Justin is a miracle. He not only has all of the great qaulities of his old personality--but he's even better. He is a true hero. He is so quick to bare his testimony. He is so positive, always trying to bring others up. Just tonight I asked him what his goals are and this is what he said
"First I am going to crawl, then I am going to eat by myself, get myself dressed and then I am going to walk."
Me-"What about running another marathon with me some day."
"Yes! As soon as I can walk my next goal is to run, and when I can run I am going to run to Vegas.
Me-"Vegas?! How are you going to do that?"
"Haven't you ever seen Forrest Gump? Once I can run I am going to run forever."
I had to fight back the tears. I mean this is the ugly part of life, the part that people don't like to hear about. The part of life where you watch someone struggle through so much pain for functions that the rest of us take so for granted. It has been so hard to see Justin break down on a few occassions and hear him sob to just be able to play frisbee, eat his food without shaking, take a shower by himself, or just get up out of bed on his own. Whenever someone asks me "Hey how is Justin?" I have to evaluate do they really want to know about the pain and unfairness that he and his family go through on a daily basis or do they want me to say the usual "fine."?? I have learned that some people go through hard hard things and that you don't truly know and realize the need to trust in the Lord until you experience a little piece of it. There have been several nights I have layed in bed crying thinking "Why Justin?" It just has not made sense to me. He had nothing more to learn. He was already my hero before the accident (the kid has already been through so much in his life). Nights like those I have had clarity come to me. He didn't have more to learn...we did. Justin is so close to so many people, like I said before, he is family to all who know him. I honestly believe that in the preexistence Justin volunteered to go through this to bring us back, to bring his friends and family back. That is the kind of person Justin is and always has been. He would never allow any one of us to go through what he has gone through. I know Justin stepped forward and said "Please let me. I will go through it all." Justin I speak for everyone when I say Thank you. Thank you for letting us serve you. Thank you for lifting us up. Thank you for your strength and your testimony. Thank you for persevering for all of us. I know that you will achieve all your goals. Just like you always told me during our long runs "Mind over Matter." We all love you.

21 comments:

Brianna said...

That was so beautifully written. You truly captured unbelievable emotion, and really gave me a glimpse into what a great person he is. Your obvious testimony is amazing Kristin, I've always been able to see it in you.

erica said...

kristin, great post! i remember it like it was yesterday when you called chris to tell him what had happened. we were heartbroken. everyone who knows justin knows how truly amazing he and his story is!
ps. roscoe is getting so big!

Anonymous said...

So I have read this post a couple of times and everytime have felt emotional but didn't know what to say. I still don't. I loved that video. You and Shawn are amazing friends and your insight to everything is amazing. I loved the part when you said that he chose this trial. I really believe that we all do. I love you Kristin.

Sam and Lacey said...

I bawled the whole time. You guys are amazing. You have given it more than 100% all of the time. You have never given up on him. You guys know what it means to be a true friend. You guys are awesome to him. Justin is a great guy. We still pray for him on a daily basis. Now, If we could some how just hook him and Jessica up!

*/ Jillian said...

kristin,
I loved this! I seriously think that sometimes we forget what a trial that is for him and what he deals with everyday! How awesome that when Shawn asked him if he was ready to give up he says never! I love that you have him over every week for family night! I think he is lucky to have you as well as you are to have him!

Laurie said...

Thanks for the post, Kristin. Your little family are great heroes to Justin, for sure, and a great example of charity and true love to us all.

Amber said...

Kristin-
I don't know how to respond! We love you and your family so much. You have helped us get through some of the hardest times we have ever had to face. Thank you for sharing your family with ours. You could have not written this better. So many times I try to express how I feel or my mom or tuft on his blog, but I can't find the right words. I hope what I am writing is readable. Cuz I can't see thur all the tears. I love your family. I now know why your place was Tuft's
"Home away from home". ~A~

Janette said...

you have explained Justin so perfectly in your own words. I was seriously so touched by your post. Thanks for being such great examples to us too. Go Justin!!!

Rach said...

wow- that really does put things into perspective. Why is it so easy to take for granted what you have? He seems like an amazing guy. He's lucky to have friends like you and sean.

Dana said...

That is definitely one of those stories that I just don't know how to respond to. I appreciate you guys for loving your friend so much, and not from the sidelines.

Curt said...

When I served with Justin in Canada, I got a similar package! He showed up for my wedding and slept over the night before. We re-visited many inside jokes, and he was truly one of my heros even before the accident. I really appreciate your expressions of faith and reasoning behind WHY it had to be Justin. I think that the experience has caused a ripple effect touching so many people that involuntarily love Justin. I can truly imagine Justin standing with head held high and in his 21 year old voice saying, "Please let me," because he did it on so many other occasions.

My wife and kids have also benefited from seeing his strength and positive attitude. His progress is nothing short of inspiring. Living in Arizona has separated us from the situation quite a bit, but we are grateful for people like you and Amber and Kim who make up for such a terribly broken system.

Boo and Sara said...

While browsing I found your blog. I went to high school with Shawn and Justin. Justin's story is truly amazing. You never know the twists and turns that life may bring. Tell Shawn I said hello and also tell Julie (Shawn's sister) hi for me.
Take Care,
Sara Chipman Lyon

Todd McLauchlin said...

Wow, how inspiring. I just put him on the top of my hero list. I had to read it twice. Love your writing Kristen.

tuft's mom said...

Kristen, words alone cannot express how much that story meant to me. Justin has me read it to him almost everyday. We are so blessed to have friends like you and Shawn in Justin's life, he loves Lexi and Roscoe to pieces and you guys too. He is going to be lost when you move up north. Thank you for all your love and support I don't know how we'd be or where without people like you and all his other friends new and old that have blessed our lives with kindness and support.

Stacy said...

Kristin that is a amazing story. And I can at some level feel for what your pain is towards Justin. My sister in law Angie is in a wheel chair and has been for 15 years. She is an inspiration to me. And everytime I'm around her she makes me feel more humble and grateful for my life. People like Justin and Angie are here to inspire people like us.

Jared and Lisa said...

Kristin- You are so sweet! But I think you are the beautiful one! I loved this post...What a neat story. To answer your question Jared served in the Angales Mission.

Karl & Leslie said...

Hi Kristin!
I'm glad I found your blog so that we can keep in touch when we move away! You have the cutest family, and your doing a great job with then. You are such a good mom I look up to you! I hope we can stay close friends!
Love Leslie

Elisa said...

Hey Kristin!
I found your blog! I couldn't agree with you more about Justin. His story is amazing and an inspiration to all of us.

Last time I talked with you, you seemed kinda interested in Home Health. I just wanted to let you know that we are hiring full-time, part-time, and PRN nursing positions. You really should come and apply. It is really flexible and pays really good. Let me know if you want more info.

Cute blog, by the way. Your family is really growing up.

See you around, Elisa Edwards (qeedwards-family.blogspot.com)

Travis said...

Wow, what a story. Is there any kind of donation fund for Justin setup? If so, can you please post info on how people can donate towards his medical/therapy expenses?

Thank you,
Travis Graham

p.s. - I found this blog/post thru Chase McLuachlins Blog.

Sonny said...

I am not going to read this one right now becasue it will make me cry, but thank you so much for writing this. thanks for being such an amazing freind to justin and helping me get through this extremly difficult time.

Sonny said...

I decided to read it and now I am crying. Justin is such an icreadible person. He has not givin up on even one of his goals. He is definitely making improvment. I am so happy to have such an increadible freind.