This morning I found a sweet little note from Shawn on my kitchen table. It sent me on a little scavenger hunt for a spa pedicure gift certificate. He is amazing at knowing when I need a little "pat on the back". Reading this note made me really just appreciate the decision I made to go on a second date with him (that is when I fell in love with him) over 5 years ago. At that time, my mom called me the "one date wonder", because I would only go out with a guy one time and that was it! I was busy in school, and honestly wasn't planning on getting married for quite a while. I had a check list of what I wanted...let's see...I wanted someone really strong in the gospel of course, knowledgable in the scriptures, outgoing, knew where he was headed in life (and was at least half way there), good sense of humor....you know the usual check list. My first date with Shawn he told me that he failed every single class he took his first year of college, and at the moment was trying to make up those classes, he didn't really have a job, he was incredibly shy and very accident prone (he has been hit by a car as a pedestrian 5 times, twice by the same person (nice Cade)), He didn't really have a testimony until right before he went on a mission, He had to ask his MTC companion what the word atonement meant when he was asked to give a talk on it, and he didn't know how to spell Breakfast. Yes all this was revealed to me on the first date. We were up until two in the morning and the Holy Ghost was definitely asleep, because I never heard "RUN!!" :) The next morning I called my mom, and said "mom I cannot like this guy. I don't think he will survive many more years, and I will end up providing for my family! "
How grateful I am that I saw past all his half truths (he is pretty clumsy, but he is the smartest and most talented man I know). I think he was trying to just scare me off. Although Shawn didn't have oodles of knowledge about historical facts of the church, I quickly saw that he was the most Christ like person I had ever met. He loves people. He always tells me that when he went on his mission, he never grasped the language and the discussions 100%, but he loved the Filipino people perfectly and he was obedient! Shawn is so patient, loving, kind, forgiving, funny, respectful and just a total sweetheart! How grateful I am that 5 years ago I crumpled up that stupid checklist and just fell in love with the greatest person. And I am happy to report that Shawn gets straight A's, was accepted into a very competitive program, is very spiritual and gives lessons that can make me ball, can spell breakfast perfectly, and we have had minimal visits to the ER. I love you babe, and thanks for leaving me a note "just because".


15 comments:
Okay that is so cute. i think Shawn needs to give Sam a lesson on taking me for a scavenger hut.Shawn is an awesome guy and we are so glad to have you guys as friends. I am way jealous of your spa certificate. Lets go together!
Shawn - you are the man. We are really glad you are in the family. I think youj look like that guy on American Idol too. Minus the dreads.
That was really sweet. Shawn sounds like such a good guy! I showed Luke this post in hopes that he could learn a little or at least have a really good chance of getting lucky. We'll see...
Congratulations!!! I spied the secret!
What a sweetie! You are one lucky girl.
Okay, so I need to clear something up. If you click on the pic, you can read the note up close, and Shawn mentions something about our third baby. Well, I played a little April Fool's joke on Shawn and told him I was pregnant. He tried so hard to act excited...hilarious! So I guess SHawn wrote it on there to prove that he would be excited if it were true. Anyways, for the record I am not pregnant. I am not that brave! Whew, I need a nap just thinking about it!
Haha! That is funny! I guess you played a joke on me too! Oh, and I was totally mistaken about the Daybreak community, it's actually Eagle Mountain that I should have been talking about. Looks like I am on a roll for making mistakes lately, oops!
P.S. We are not against catching up:)
You have the cutest husband!! What a good guy! I love that we can keep in touch with this. I am sad that you guys are leaving, but I will share with Tuft and we can watch all of your family through pictures. :0). Hey i found some summer clothes that never got un- packed, i thought they might work for Lexie. I only kept the good ones. So let me know if you would like to look at them. We HAVE to get together be4 you leave k. We will have dinner at my house or something k. Love you guys!!:)
Hi Kristen...i found your blog i hope you don't mind. I loved that story!! You guys seem so perfect together! Jared also served in the Phillipines.What area was Shawn in?
Wow! You have a great husband! :) Don't you love those little surprises that mean so much! I'm sure he is definitely glad you gave him a chance for a second date so he could convince you that he was really everything you ever wanted. You are such an awesome, beautiful, funny, thoughtful, fun, talented girl and I think he's pretty lucky to have you too! :) Love ya!
I love you guys. You're my "perfect marriage" example... ok not perfect Im sure. But seriously pretty close.
k- Krist, I think this pretty much counts as be creative and doing something so cute for you,,,,,so now its totally Garretts turn to play catch up! Props tp Shawn. and ps..... Colbie Calliot for life!(I think she has always been that big)
You two are meant for each other. Such fun history!
that seriously made me tear up!
You need to teach me how to write, I try and explain things and get my words all mumbo jumbo- like this comment:) Your blogs are fun to read:) Anyway, that was way cute and I think Shawn is a great guy!! Way to go Shawn! You got some major brownie points.
Thank you so much babe. I am glad you crumpled up your check list and took the plunge. You are the greatiest thing that has ever happened to me.I love you so much.
Post a Comment