Thursday, August 14, 2008

Curlers, Crocodiles, and Candid Moments

Lexi LOVES putting curlers in her hair. She thinks she is the girliest thing ever.  The darn things won't stay in her hair though, so she kept us up all night yelling whenever one fell out for me to come put it back in. I loved this picture of my pretty little girl.

The other night we tucked Lexi into bed in the usual pattern: Binky, bunny, brushed teeth, read stories, prayers, kisses,and left the hall light on. We barely settled on the couch to watch some Olympics when we heard her screaming at the top of  her lungs. We raced up there to see what was the matter, and she was shaking and crying, yelling "The Crocodiles gonna get me!"She was so terrified.  I held her and talked with her until she calmed down. 
me: "Lexi there are no crocodiles. They are far far away in Alabama (right?), and some crocodiles are nice. Why are you scared of them?
Lex: "Mean ones in my Computer book." (She has been listening to stories online, and there is one book that is about some crocodiles trying to get a duck family). oops.
Me: (holding her cinderella wand) "Bibbidi Bobbidi Boo Mean Crocodiles stay away from Lexi and Roscoe." (K, so this was her first time with a fear, and I vaguely remember in some book validating the fear and coming up with a solution...?, but yes I did look like an idiot.)
Lex: (smiling) "I want to sleep with my big white bear. He save me from mean crocodiles."

So now we have developed a new bedtime routine of using a wand and a big stuffed bear to keep those darn crocodiles away. What happened to Monsters under the bed??....Crocodiles?!

Last weekend we went to STG for Shawn's work. I was sitting outside my inlaws house watching Lex jump on the tramp. It was one of those moments that are completely ordinary, yet something about it tells your heart to take a picture and remember it forever. I ran to grab my camera, so I could capture her little joy as she jumped all around laughing and singing. She is the happiest little thing. I LOVE watching her. She makes me laugh all the time. I love her personality. She has SO made up for her first four months of solid screaming all day and night.

13 comments:

Amy said...

Lexi is such a cutie. You are an awesome mom. I look up to you so much. I love the picture on the trampoline. She looks so grown up.

Rach said...

Don't worry about the binki. It'll be easy to get rid of when she's ready. (Abbey was over 3 when the "binki fairy" came) You'll have to find something else to motivate her though :)
And Abbey also has an overbite...so I was a little worried. Everything I was ever taught in school was that it won't affect their teeth until about 4 or 5 (when the permanent ones start to come) Dr. Heideman assured me that wasn't the cause of her overbite....?

Chelsey said...

R u guys still in good ol' st. george? If you are we would still love to get together. Let me know!

The Hatch's said...

That was the cutest most tender story I have ever heard. You are a great mom Krick. Thanks for being a good example to me. See you in two weeks!

Amanda said...

She is such a cutie. I love those moments were you snap a picture that means more to you then what the picture shows.

Catherine said...

Hey Kristin,
I have totally missed you since we left St. George and the College Married Ward! You talked about feeling like a single mom, and I completely understand what you're going through. Wade's at the U as well, and it's been tough to have him gone so much. Now that Kristal Joy is up here as well, the three of us should definitely get together! I'll get your number from her so we can plan a play date sometime. Talk to ya soon!

Catherine Reed

Jared and Lisa said...

What a cutie!!! I love the curlers:)

*/ Jillian said...

what a story! Man, those dang crocodiles, I would be scared too. Love the tramp picture, she looks like such a big girl! I totally get why you took it. Sometimes you just get that feeling. Most of all..... I MISS YOU! GET HOME SOON FROM YOUR DANG TRIP. YOU CANT BE HAVING ANY FUN, CAN YOU?

Maggie said...

You have a cute family. It's nice to see you so happy! I've been reading your blog and catching up!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I went private so email me your email address so that I can invite you. bksnell@yahoo.com

Marcie said...

Hey Kristin,
Hey its Marcie(from school at DSC) I found your blog off of rachels. I cant believe you have 2 kids! They are so cute too! Looks like you are doing pretty good.
Marcie

twede said...

Hey Kristin, I feel absoutly awful I never had a chance to call you when I was in Utah. When I haven't made it there for over a year, and there was a wedding, birthday's, family everything, a few days up there just wasn't nearly enough. I really was hoping to get together and meet your darling kids!!! I hope you are honestly doing well, and getting adjusted to your new life in Layton. Maybe this fall we could meet in St. George and do a reunion. I miss you, and am sooo sorry I never got together with you! Take care!
Cindy

Sonny said...

I love this little girl, and all the fun, crazy, and scary eperinces we go through with her.