Monday, May 24, 2010

Shawn Richard


(darling boy)
I know I am probably not going to have time to do a post tomorrow for the actual day (5.25) since we will be leaving St. George for Phoenix in the wee morning hours for a Spitzer family reunion of sorts.
Celebrated his 30 years tonight with some family, friends, food, and a little frisbee. The kids and I gave Shawn our gift...the book that has made me neglect my family for weeks on end.
It is full of letters, memories, stories, and best wishes to this man we know and love. (thanks to all)
I can't tell you how amazing it has been to work on this thing day and night.
I loved escaping to his younger years and catching a glimpse into the life that molded him to the amazing person he is today. I have laughed late into the night reading about all his ER trips, catching himself on fire at Lake Powell, getting ran over as a pedestrian 5 times-twice by cade, hitchiking home from Powell with Richard, Burning his mom's couches out at the AZ strip on grad night, punched in the face by Josh's little sister, getting tangled up in fishing line with Chris and hopping down the river, kicking balloons with Justin at the Jr. High dance when the brotherhood was formed, driving to Vegas in under 50 minutes (maybe not so funny), or when he was nominated for royalty and then falling off the stage in front of the senior class...just to name a few.
I loved seeing his face tonight when he opened it. Priceless. I know that it will always mean the world to him...thinking I'll have to hide it from the kids in the teen years though, so they don't get any ideas. Good Grief. I sure am glad he survived it all for 22 years, so I could meet him and bring a little safety into his life.
So here he is, 30 years in the making, and all accounted for...well almost ;)

Happy Birthday Love!!
greatest person i know.

6 comments:

Janette said...

I loved reading the memory book, what a great idea. (thanks Kristin for sharing). Such funny memories and beautiful words.

Happy Birthday Shawn!. I really can't believe how fast time goes by.
I remember when you, Nate, Tuft, Bob and Ryan came over to my apartment (you and Nate just got home from your mission) You had on your dress pants, button up shirt and tie. (Nate was dressed up to but with jeans ha ha).
Also when I would tag along with Nate everywhere and we would all go to Denny's. They would always call you the garbage disposal because you ate the rest of everyones plate.
The time you and Justin tried balancing on a rope. It makes me nervous thinking about it.
Or when my roommate had a crush on you and I had to tell her in a nice way "I don't think he is interested!" because I could tell you were NOT into her.
Hope you have a great Birthday!

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday Shawn!
Seriously Kristen, this is the sweetest gift! I am sure he will treasure it forever :)

Sam and Lacey said...

HAppy Birthday! Sorry we didn't make it over to the park. Sam didn't walk in the door till 7. Dang. I forgot to add a memory to the book. oops. Mine was slack rope walking with you and tuft. I can't believe you guys convinced me to do that. My ACL will never be the same but it makes for a great memory and good story. Hope you had a good one. About half way to retirment. That is reason enought to celebrate. JK

Chelsey said...

Happy happy Birthday! Your kids look just like him as a kid.

Terry said...

What a treasure is that book, but the greatest treasure you have is that beautiful family. Thanks Kristen for making that book and his day and his life so special. love you all!

carrie said...

Happy Birthday Shawn! Great job on the book Kristin. I am actually in the precess of making one for Tony, and it is a lot of work and hard to keep it a secret. it's been so fun catching up with people from Tony's mission, then I get off the phone and have to remind myself not to slip up and say anything to Tony. You are such a good writer Kristin, you write just the way you talk and it is so fun to read, you have such a fun personality. I was going to write a memory for Shawns book but it was more about you and how much I admire how he respects and adores you, but I didn't realize you needed it so soon. Sorry! Just know that I think the world of you both, you are amazing people and I look up to you. nuff said! Now I need you to post some more pictures of little Gretta, she realy is the cutest baby, I really can't get over her eyes, so adorable!