Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Who screams?



i am only blogging this per shawn's request...who can't stop laughing and wants this memory remembered..

Got back from swimming tonight, finished some dinner, and just about to tuck the kiddos into bed when Lex and I heard the Ice cream truck driving on our street. We scrame, grabbed some change, and booked it out the door. Roscoe followed behind, and when I looked back, I saw that he was as naked as a jay bird (yes. it happens all the time), so I called for Lex to stop the truck and ran Roscoe back in to grab some shorts. Well, when I ran back out Lexi was in tears and the truck was driving almost out of sight. I took one look at my little doll face and started running bare foot down the street yelling "stop!" The truck turned a corner, and I couldn't hear the music anymore, so I stopped to put my hands on my knees and catch my breath. 
Seriously out of shape. 
Shawn had walked out by now, saw me panting, the ice cream truck out of sight, so he started to tell the kids that there probably wasn't going to be ice cream tonight. 
And then we heard the music again, so naturally, I ran to the end of the street and spotted the traveling freezer. I took off after it. I was waving my arms and yelling like an idiot when I noticed that he had paused for a minute. Phew. I thought he finally saw me, so I slowed down and was just about to the window when he pulled away again!! Oh my heck! I couldn' t give up now. I started sprinting again (and again barefoot) through all the rain puddles from the storm an hour ago. Once again, I thought he saw me, because he slowed way down to a stop, and once again I was almost caught up....but you guessed it...he pulled away! Augh! I kept running. 
Now let me take a minute and clear up any misconceptions that Ice Cream trucks are slow....They or at least this one was not....that is what I'm telling myself anyway, so I don't feel like such a moron.
Anyways, back to me sprinting and yelling (almost a mile and a half from my house) and feeling like my lungs were about to burst. I spotted a stop sign up ahead, so I cut through some neighbors yards and finally caught the truck at the sign.
The driver took one look at me gasping, barefoot, and my pants soaked up to my knees and asked
"I'm so sorry! I'm lost around here. How far have you been running!?"
me: one finger up, coughing, spitting, panting, gasping...seeing stars (k not really, but close)
"Nevermind what can I get you?"
me: holding out $1.75 in change. (gasp) "I have two kids. (gasp) two treats please."
"Oh actually the cheapest thing we have are these popsicles and they're a dollar each."
me: trying to give a look that can kill
"You know what. You go ahead and give me what you got and I'll make up the difference for these two popsicles" 
(again not exactly, but it would have been cool....parable of the popsicles anyone??)
So I gave him the change and started the walk home. Luckily, the family had been trying to follow me and were close by.
The kids were pretty excited and started gobbling. 
Shawn laughed at me all the way home and said he couldn't wait for Sunday to hear everyone talk about crazy old me running after the musical vehicle. wow i'm awesome.
Good thing he understands how I feel about Ice cream trucks. I am a big believer in always purchasing a treat whenever you see one. 
It's just too darn magical for a child.
Loved how excited the kiddos were.
I'll look like a fool any day for them smiles.

I scream.

5 comments:

Rach said...

That's hilarious! wish I could've witnessed that one too :)
IT's funny the things we'll do for our kids happiness, eh!?

The Hatch's said...

hahahahaha One of the funniest posts ever! Every experience I have ever had with an ice cream truck has been exactly that. I swear they do it on purpose, just too add a little "sweetness" to their job. The visual of you running, flailing your arms and screaming is priceless.

Lisa said...

You are such a cute mom! I can't stop laughing at the image of you chasing down that truck...glad you caught him in the end!

Dana said...

Oh, that was so worth the lost sleep. Love it!

A said...

Ha ha I'm having a great time envisioning this! :)