Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Justin's book

{9.17.2010}
About 2 years ago I started making a scrapbook for Justin documenting the journey he has been on since his 2006 accident...a compilation of pictures from the hospital, police reports, newspaper articles, letters from friends, fundraisers, his first steps, writings from his family about how he has inspired them, etc.
Well like I said, I started 2 years ago with good intentions to have it done in time for Christmas, but life happened...
...we named her gretta... :)
And somehow the box labeled "Tuft's Book" got shoved up at the top of the guest room closet to collect dust and pierce my conscience every time I opened the door to get some bedding or file a bill.
I knew I needed to get it finished, so Justin could have it to look through or to show others his story when/if he wanted to. So a couple months ago, I pulled the box down, dusted off my paper cutter, and got started. again.
I worked on it any spare moment I had at night (which let me tell you ladies...with 3 kids...they're aint many.) It felt tedious, and like I wasn't getting anywhere. I knew we would be seeing Justin on the 17th when he came to visit, so about a week before, I buckled down and decided I was going to finish it that night. I knew I still had a week, but I felt really prompted or urgent to get it done that day if I could.
It was an amazing day and evening...kids were so good for me, and I was on a roll getting layout after layout done. I kept thinking how weird it was that I was actually getting so much accomplished. 
I finally finished at about 9 that evening, closed the book, and sat with Shawn on the couch to look at it all completed. We were reading it when all of a sudden I looked at Shawn and asked 
"wait what's the date today?..."
We checked our phones and saw that it was September 7.
I had finished exactly 4 years to the date of the accident without even realizing it.
Take it for what you will, but Shawn and I got the chills and both agreed it wasn't mere coincidence.
So glad I had some outside help. ;)
The 17th came, and we gave Justin the book.
He was so happy. Priceless.








Thanks to all who wrote some pretty special messages to him.
And I know I missed so many of his fans...don't worry though...there are a few blank pages for people to write and knowing Justin, he'll make sure you add your 2 cents the next time he sees you. :)

Love you Tuft!

5 comments:

carrie said...

Sweetest thing EVER, you are such a good friend. He really has come a long way. Wish we could have seen more of you guys in Disneyland, so funny/fun to run into you there!

Anna said...

So special. He is lucky to have friends like you guys.And what an honor to know someone with his faith and courage.
I remember when I met him on my mission. I took Justin and his sister and her husband on a tour at the Joseph Smith farm. They teased him because he was always with you guys. :) Threescompany :)

Jodi Rae said...

I think you are amazing. Period.

Tricia Lovato said...

Jodi could not have said it better. You are truly amazing and always doing anything to make someone else's life better or easier. You are a true blessing in so many people's lives and I am truly touched for the way you have touched my life.

Although I do not know Justin, I have read about him on your blog and even went back to older stuff you wrote and he is inspiring. You and Shawn are perfect for each other. Such loving and caring people. You have been there for him through so much and this is a true testament of how much love you have to give. Truly you are amazing!

Terry said...

What a treasure you have given him along with the best treasure that you both give him-------your love and friendship. I love that kid too.