Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Vaccinated





I finally did it.
Well, kind of.
Yesterday I took my baby girl in to get some shots.
I narrowed it down to just the DTaP and Hib.
Shawn gave her a blessing the night before and after a lot of research...it felt right.
It didn't really stop me from shaking like a leaf in the pediatrician office though.
Dr. Eshem was so nice about everything and fully supportive...I did get some terrible looks from the medical assistant though. I think she asked me 8 different times "So you haven't immunized your baby at all yet and she's almost 10 months old...???" "um. yes." She definitely wanted a longer explanation, but I decided we were in different worlds and there is no use explaining those sort of things. I am pretty sure by the end of the appointment she thought I was the worst mom ever. I had half a mind to really stir the pot and let her know I am a real live registered nurse (or so DOPL tells me) who didn't immunize her baby! I think she would have died and probably placed me right up there with heroin addict mom. Oh well. She's entitled I suppose.

I will not get into all the opinions about whether to immunize or not...
Such a heated topic, and so so personal.
My little teeny opinion is if you feel good about it...do it. If for some reason... you're really uneasy (and not just because jenny mcCarthy told you so) than it's worth some research. There might be a reason your child could have a bad reaction. There are incredibly intelligent people whom I completely respect on both ends of the debate, so I really stand on middle ground and go with my gut kid by kid and vaccine by vaccine...
Lex-immunized. Roscoe-not. Gretta-sort of.
And guess who's in the 4th percentile for weight and 65th for heighth!?
Love my lil peanut!

2 comments:

The Dabo's said...

My baby boy only get's one shot per visit and it's worked out great for us. I just don't feel comfortable giving such a small baby so much stuff. So he is two now and behind but he will be caught up by kindergarten! You do whatever works for your family!

Terry said...

Oh how I love that little peanut.