Wow. What am I, like 4 days late in posting this. Yikes. I am going to pull the 3 kid card right about now. (definitely won't be the last time I use that one). Time flies! I can't seem to pry myself away from little gretta. She is a doll! So glad my mom is here to hold down the fort, so I can just cuddle all day long.
Let's see...Let me start off with a disclaimer that this is a birth story. I will try to not go into too much detail and hopefully my pics are G rated enough for you all. This blog has become my journal, and I just know I won't write everything down unless it is on here. I apologize ahead of time for the weak of stomach...
Wednesday: 12/2/2009
I woke up at 4 in the morning feeling pretty achy. I couldn't get back to sleep, so I got up and wandered the house. I felt a little funny and somewhat wondered if "today was the day". Seeming how I had had 21 of those "days" in the last three weeks, I refused to let my mind go there too much. Just figured it was another sleepless night.
8:00am: Started to notice that I was contracting.
10:00am: These are pretty regular. Timed a few. 4-5 minutes apart.
11:00am: Crap! Started hitting the floor during every contraction. Kids glued to the tv. Not sure if I should call anyone, because I am tired of being the girl who cried "It's time!"
11:01am: Called my Doula, Amy. (haha. couldn't wait) She agreed that it was probably labor and to call her when I needed her.
11:30am: Called Shawn to come home when he could and sent the kids to the neighbors. (love you kara!)
12:30pm: got in the bathtub to labor. Shawn and Amy showed up. I was feeling great. LOVED the tub. Amy poured hot water on my back during every contraction. That took the edge off. I was feeling great and could talk and joke during each rest period. Contractions were about 2 - 3 minutes apart. Shawn wasn't quite sure what to do. He ran around getting things ready and was at my beck and call. He made me a ham/cream cheese/cranberry sandwhich that tasted sooo good. I loved watching him and his excitement.
2:00pm: Got out of the tub. Couldn't decide if I should go to the hospital or not. Labored on the bed and on the chair for a while. Shawn and Amy pushed on my back and hips hard during each contraction. All my pain seemed to be in my back and it was intense.
4:00pm: loaded in the car and headed to the hospital. 35 minutes of awesomeness. I had to focus on the mountains during each contraction. Weird, but if something blocked them, it seemed like my pain was unbearable. Started realizing that I was making noises during each contraction. Dang it! I wanted to be one of those quite peaceful labor girls. Kind of sounded like a dying cow. Shawn assures me that I was darling throughout. haha.5:00pm: Settled into L&D room. Nurse checked me. Dilated to a 7 and 90% effaced. Wahoo!!
5:30pm: Midwife, Linsday Breinholt showed up. Isn't she gorgeous!? I was feeling fabulous next to her.
6:00pm: Back in the tub. Loved it! Contractions were getting really intense. Definitely feeling crazy pain in my back. Started dying of heat, but I was too scared to feel what contractions felt like out of tub. I stayed in as long as I could.
7:00pm: Lindsay did an exam. Dilated to an 8, baby was posterior, broke my water. Lindsay didn't want me in the bath anymore. I had to try to change the position of the baby. Pain got unreal. Lindsay and Amy pressed on my back with their fists during each contraction. They would try to show Shawn what to do, but for some reason I did not want him to touch me. I kept apologizing, because I didn't want him to feel bad. For some reason, I only wanted women to touch me. I wanted Shawn to just sit back and think I was amazing. :) So grateful he was just fine doing that.
7:30pm: Felt like I could lose control at any minute. I refused to let myself say anything negative out loud, though I doubted I could handle it much longer. Contractions were right on top of each other. I tried my hardest to relax and surrender to what my body was doing. I kept telling myself that I was strong and that I could do this. Thought about my grandpa and lexi a lot. Not sure why, but these two seemed to give me so much strength. Shawn was right by my side telling me I was amazing every second. Loved hearing him.7:55pm: Begged midwife to let me get back in the tub. I was dying! Got in, had one contraction, and felt like I needed to push. Lindsay checked me and I was dilated to a 10. I told her I wanted to deliver right where I was. Haha! She was not having that. I just loved that bath tub too much. Somehow made my way to the bed for the next phase.
Pushing was insane!!! I have heard some women actually like this part. Holy crapiola! I went to another place. There was something very primal about it. I felt connected to every mother in nature (weird I know, but I don't know how else to describe it). The spirit was so strong as our little baby entered into the world. I literally felt like I was passing through the shadow of death and then instantly there was no more pain.
8:14pm: Little Gretta. I just kept repeating "I love her!" over and over again. I did it! Shawn cried and I fell in love with him for the bazillionth time. Heaven was very near. I have never felt so much joy. It was an amazing experience.
Honestly! What baby comes out looking this beautiful!!?? Complete perfection. Love her!!

8:14pm: Little Gretta. I just kept repeating "I love her!" over and over again. I did it! Shawn cried and I fell in love with him for the bazillionth time. Heaven was very near. I have never felt so much joy. It was an amazing experience.
Honestly! What baby comes out looking this beautiful!!?? Complete perfection. Love her!!
8:19pm: I started to hemorrhage (happened to me 6 hours after Roscoe's birth as well). This is where things took a turn down hill. For the next 2 hours, I experienced more pain than I ever thought possible. Really, labor was nothing compared to the medical team pushing, prodding, and clamping trying to get my bleeding to stop. I started to feel panicky listening to them talk about the possibility of a hysterectomy. Shawn gave me a blessing amongst all the chaos and my bleeding finally stopped. Very emotional.
(side note: I am now a high risk post-partum patient. Apparently, they think I might always bleed afterwards. Luckily there is a medication that they can inject directly into the uterus (sounds awesome) that can help in the future.)
(seriously).
My feelings now: I loved it. Of course, I could do without the pain, but it was just a small (or huge) part of the whole experience. I loved feeling my body do exactly what it was made to do. It was powerful and extremely humbling at the same time. For a few moments I felt closer to Heaven than I ever knew possible. I am definitely not encouraging everyone to go try it out, nor do I think you're missing out or copping out by getting medication. Birth is a miracle regardless. Just for me, I was changed this time around, and I can't help but think it had a lot to do with truly feeling everything. The joy was that much stronger, because I felt the contrasting despair. Will I do it again?? Um...give me a year or two to think about it. Ha. A little scared just thinking about it. I'll tell you one thing though, I am loving how Shawn looks at me now. He really thinks I am some sort of super human. That man is proud, and I love hearing it. It all worked out pretty darn well, and this little Gretta girl is amazing! Must go cuddle some more now. xoxo.


39 comments:
WOW, you are superwomen! My epidural only worked on half my body until it was about time to push and i seriously thought i was going to die!! I have never felt pain like that EVER! And can't imagine doing the whole thing natural. Great job!
Kristin, that story was amazing! You really inspired me(not that I will EVER go natural) and you made me cry too. She is perfect and you are incredible.
Have I ever told you that I nearly died after I gave birth to Lily? No joke. I am high risk post-partum too. Hemorrhaged horribly and was scared to death to give birth to Adynne but they gave me medicine during her birth and I only hemorrhaged a little. It really is SO scary.
I can't wait to meet little Gretta! I've been waiting for this story!
You go girl! That is amazing! You are amazing! I'm glad little Gretta and you are doing well. She's absolutey beautiful just like her mama! I so hope we can get together in a couple of weeks! Enjoy all the cuddle time, while your mom is there:) Love ya!
I am obsessed with birth stories, and this one was amazing! it was a journey...from the beginning to end i was in the birthing ZoNe:) i loved that you poasted the real,raw everything truth! and you looked beautyful. the picture i loved most was of you and shawns faces together, you look so much alike its insane! im proud of you girl, congrats on that little doll.
im bustin out the seams to see her...and now i for sure 100% want to have another little one.
love ya
You are an amazing woman! wait to go for accomplishing your goals. I loved reading your birth story Every part of it made me cry. We our so so happy for you guys and glad Gretta is here, she is gorgeous. Hopefully one of these days we will visit your cute little family.
Wow Kristin!
Sounds like you had an amazing experience, and that you did wonderful. I'm so glad it went so beautifully. You did have me scared when I read the part about the hemorrhage and hysterectomy. I've worked on a PP floor and it is so so scary when women bleed. You were truly blessed though and what a beautiful daughter. Gorgeous eyes! She really is gorgeous. I'm so glad you are doing well. Congratulations!!
Pretty awesome. That is all I have to say!! I teared a little, and it made me excited to have my little one. I am glad all is well, and that you are both healthy! She really is beautiful, and way to go natural! I have thought about it, but I just don't know.....:) You rock, congrats.
Oh, I am so sorry you had to have so much extra pain after, I am so glad it is over for you. I loved your story and your pics. For me, it was also worth it just because Dan thought I was so amazing and kept telling people I was perfect and stuff. Your baby is seriously beautiful and I forgot to tell you that I am so happy you went with Gretta, I am in love with the name. Hope you are recovering well.
Congratulations, you are a tough cookie. What a treasure she is!!
Yay! You did it and Gretta is beautiful. Isn't the bath tub the best! Way to go!
Amazing, beatiful, speachless....
Congratulations you super woman! That is an amazing story...I think I am crying. Your little one is so beautiful too. What a doll. Miss you here in St. George.
So I think I am baby hungry or something because I just shed a few tears....I am impressed with you lady! You rock!
and she looks beautiful. congrats and I cant wait to meet her.
love you girl!!
I always hear that having a baby naturally is the most amazing experience. I have no clue if I could do it. You are awesome. Wishing you a good recovery:)
you described it all so well. love that you have so many pictures of your experience. I might not give her back once I get a hold of her!
Thanks for making me cry tears of joy. YOur amazing. Now I'm going to go cuddle my my babies.
Wow, Kristin! You are amazing. What a cool experience! And look at your reward--a beautiful baby (she really is)!
You don't know me, I do know Sean, Chris and Erica though. You drew me into your whole pregnancy experience. You write your feelings very well. Anyways made me a little baby hungry and who knows maybe next I will go natural! Probably not but maybe! Congratulations, you guys make beautiful kids and 3 is great!
Thank you for sharing this Kristin. What a beautiful way to come into the world! I'm with Shawn - you are amazing.
What a beautiful articulation of exactly what labor and birth can be. That primal place is other worldly, and to go through it personally, and to watch women go to that sacred place where we walk through the shadow of death gives one a new perspective on eternity, and the brief journey we go on here in mortality. Words cannot say how happy I am for you friend! I'm proud of you, and so grateful for you willingness to share with the rest of us. You're beautiful! Most importantly you have always been beautiful on the inside! Congratulations to you Mama (and Daddy of course). She is stunningly beautiful! So happy for you!
Blessings! Love~Allie
p.s. That was quite a run on sentence there in the beginning. Sorry about my poor grammar. I can write real good sometimes;)
Yes, I got light headed and almost passed out while reading this...
BUT... So glad she is here and that both of you are ok.
Can't wait to meet her tomorrow!
i pretty much held my breath through a lot of that....good work kristin!
What an awesome birth story! I am so happy for you and Sean. I have to admitt this made me really really baby hungry. Gretta is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your story with us!
That is amazing. I hurt just reading it--Congrats to you for making it just like you wanted to. She is absolutely perfect!
You did it!!! LOVED reading your birth story. You did such a great job putting your experience and feelings into words. Seriously...how was she so perfect the second she was born? She looked perfect!! Good job, I'm glad everything went ok and you are both doing well. Congrats again...she is SO precious!!!
kristin, you almost brought me to tears! you ARE super woman! i'm glad everything worked out, that is scary. gretta is beautiful! congrats to your cute fam! good job!
Congrats Kristin. I'm so excited that this time we both had girls. They will have so much fun together. I can't believe you got so many pictures of Gretta with her eyes open. It seemed like Lyla hardly ever opened her eyes for the first 4-5 weeks. Hope your getting some sleep. She's adorable.
She's perfect! You are an inspiration to me, and I'm tempted to go natural with our next one because of this beautiful story!
Congratulations--She's gorgeous! I'm so proud of you...I told you you could do it natural! Let me know if I can do anything for ya, would be glad to take your other kiddos if you need a break!
You are amazing!!! I'm so glad that everything ended up ok. Gretta is beautiful and I hope that I can see you and meet her soon. If you come to your parents over Christmas please call. Love you tons!
You are for sure my hero! Yay! We did it:) SO glad our little bugs are here safe and sound. Kristin honestly, I have never even thought i could handle it natural. But you have inspired me... Your story was so real. You weren't acting like it was easy, or your so tough. You were so honest and humble... And i respect you completely for it!!! Good Job! Love you!
Sorry That was me Jaime:) Someone else was signed in!
She is beautiful! And you are awesome! It makes it a little harder to blog with 3 kids:) You are a wonderful mother and a great example to me! Love your family!
Leslie
She is such a beautiful miracle and so are you Kristin. Love you all so much.
Kristin, I (and my husband) love your story so much. It inspires me to know how well you did, and that even though it hurt you didn't change your mind at the last second. I am even more sure now that we are making the right decision on our birth plan. You are amazing and I wont forget it! We will have Amy there as well and I'm now even more convinced I can't do it the way I want to if she isn't there. She is awesome! Oh and ofcourse I need to tell you how amazingly beautiful your little baby is. Congrats mommy :)
Juliann & Holland
I need to pay you and Julianne more for the nice words ya'll say about me! So, every time I see you I keep on meaning to tell you just how much I enjoyed reading this! You definitely have a way with words and your birth was AWESOME!
Loved the story. I love hearing the way you described it. Felt like I knew every detail. You are amazing and beautiful. Fun to see you in your natural beauty :) Bummer about the hemorrhage. I am a bleeder too... I've heard fair skinned Caucasians are likely to have that problem. Stinks! Gretta is perfect. Wish I could see her and you. I'd better get to work preparing my mind, for my day is coming soon! Any advice?
I read this a while ago.. and I just now read it again.. So inspiring to me. I *may* try the natural route! Hope you all are well!
Post a Comment