My mom just called to let me know that my Grandpa Dunn is struggling and may not make it through the next 24-48 hours.
We lost Shawn's Grandpa Patten last Thursday night, December 2.
There really is no way of preparing yourself completely to lose a loved one and a grandparent is no exception.
It hurts even when you know it is their time and you know they will be much happier, it still just aches.
It leaves you wondering if they really know how much you appreciate all they have done for you, how thankful you are for their love, their support, their testimonies, their laughs, their stories, their songs, their hugs, and for just always being there. I lost my Grandpa Spitzer over 3 years ago, and it still brings me to tears to think about how much I miss him.
I cherish every memory that I have with my grandparents on both sides. I am so grateful for the sacrifices they constantly made for me that at the time I had no knowledge of. They have loved me unconditionally throughout my life, and I am so very grateful.
I'm a little behind on the blog right now. Hopefully Thanksgiving will be posted before Christmas...maybe even today if I'm lucky. Just in case, I don't get to it though, here's my favorite pic of that week.
Me & Grandma
Sure we look a little tired, and it really isn't the best lighting, but it was right after I gave her the calendar me, my sister, and brothers had worked on. It was full of pictures with her and Gramps with our favorite memories written on each month. It made her teary, and I knew that maybe, just maybe, she caught a glimpse of everything she means to us.
I am such a lucky girl to have had 4 wonderful Grandparents plus one great grandma nearly my entire life. It took me 2 years to be able to talk about my Grandpa Spitzer's death to anyone without breaking down into tears. He battled lung cancer for 2 years, and though logically I knew he would eventually go, I never really believed it somewhere. I was shocked when he passed. Utterly shocked. He had always been in my life. All the big events, but more importantly the small ones too. It is still hard and I ache to hug him, talk with him, and play a card game or two. :) I cherish any moment I get with my grandparents now, because I know they won't be on this earth forever.
I'm so grateful I got to spend this past Thanksgiving with my family and my Grandma Spitzer.
I truly wish I was in Oregon right now by my Granpa Dunn's side thanking him for all that he has taught me, for always singing, for his laugh, for his love, for his testimony of Joseph Smith the prophet, for teaching me to serve, and to love the gospel. I'll miss him a lot. I love him for who he has always been to me. I hope he feels love around him and knows that he's been a great grandpa to me.
So here's to all the grandparents out there.
Thank you for all your love and sacrifice.


3 comments:
i'm so sorry about your grandpa. like you said, even though we know that the next life is a million trillion times better than here - it still hurts/and will hurt to lose a loved one.
i think about my grandma bowler everyday. brings a tear to my eye just typing this, so i won't expound...
i only hope i can be the type of grandma my grandparents were...and i'm sure you feel the same.
ps. still sad we missed the party. hope it was grand!
I am so sorry. I just don't think there is anything better in this world than Grandparents. It is true life is so much better on the other side but it is still hard to lose someone you love. I pray that you will comfort at this time. Please let me know if you need anything. Even if its just someone to listen to the stories, cry with, laugh with...anything! Love you!
I think missing someone is one of the WORST feelings! Sorry Kristin! I can tell how much you loved your Grandpa, good thing you have all those fun memories with him and that you will be with him again, best promise EVER!
P.S. I'm getting Ray in with Doctor Humpries next month, I'm very excited, thanks again for suggesting him. Love you!
Post a Comment