Sunday, October 3, 2010

Conference Weekend

{ours was fabulous}
for most of us anyhow.

Wasn't conference amazing.?
I missed a little of the Saturday afternoon session, (listening to today) but was able to hear the rest. 
Wow.
I'm inspired.
I loved so many of the talks, but I have to say the one that I felt was so personal for me 
and I really took to heart was President Uchdorft's talk on simplifying.
So good.
I'm not sure if I'm alone on this, but sometimes I get caught up in the wrong things.
good things, just not best things.
Like trying to "capture" the moment instead of "being" in the moment, or cleaning my house spotless because I know a neighbor will be here instead of spending those moments with a child who is extra needy that day, or spending an hour homemaking a card instead of just sending one (from the target dollar store aisle) when I feel prompted...
As inspired as I am with all the blogs and public windows into everyone's "best life," (really you all are amazing) I can also get discouraged...
Equating being a "good" mom/homemaker/friend/wife/whatever with:
handmade crafts, amazing parties, staying in contact with everyone, having a spotless home, owning an etsy shop,  decorating to perfection and redoing when it all changes in a month,being done with Christmas at the beginning of October (again all handmade), learning to sew, and in my spare time mastering photography and photo shop...
you get the point...
The thing is they're all good things and if you are great at all of them then keep it up...
I may have to hire you in the future. :)
I'm just talking for me personally, because I think I have gotten lost in all the details instead of slowing down and focusing on the purpose.
 
"Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus 
our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship — 
the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace." 

Beautiful isn't it?
I heard those words and felt a huge weight lift off my shoulders.
Keep it simple.
Keep it genuine.
Keep it focused on Christ.

Also...
Wasn't packer's talk powerful?
Did you see a great underlying theme on following the prophet?
And then our sweet prophet's words on having an attitude of gratitude?
Loved it.
Definitely feeling refocused.
What about you?
What was your personal message from the weekend?

*and yes, i know i am suppose to be private by now. i just am dreading sitting down to type all the emails in. soon though.

3 comments:

Julie said...

That talk was by FAR my favorite. It was funny because I asked my sister what she thought about it. She said I think I need to stop watching so much tv. I thought it was about quitting a couple of responsibilities I have but get nothing out of but frustration. He said it perfectly when he said: "Simplicity is Sophistication". I think I'm going to get that printed on my forehead.

Janette said...

I agree, it was so uplifting. I can really relate so much to what you are saying. I have a million goals that I want to accomplish and I feel like I need to do them all now for some reason. I am so grateful for conference and that it helps us stay focused on what is most important.
LOVE that pic of the kids, so cute!
also, Boston saw a peter pan costume mostly because of the hat(no tights with it though lol!). Boston begged me to buy it for him. now he wants to be a knight or buzz lightyear. ha ha! oh well..

Catherine said...

Even with my preschool and 3 kids, SIMPLIFY LIFE has been my personal motto for the last couple of years. It's interesting because Satan knows he can't get some of us to drink or smoke, but he works extra hard to distract us and keep us so busy that we can't focus on the important little things like reading our scriptures everyday or playing Go Fish with our kids.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on conference, Kristin! You're so awesome, cute lady!