Thursday, October 28, 2010

Costumes


Confession.
I am a bit of a cheapskate. 
(really. that may be an understatement)
I can never bring myself to spend a lot of money on anything and usually drive my family nuts analyzing (even losing sleep) on how much items cost and brainstorming where we can get a better deal and stretch our dollar further.
I've also been informed that I am the worst shopping partner too.
I'll throw everything I want in the cart for 2 hours and then just before everyone is ready to check out, I start putting it all back...driving my sister in laws mad. (loves!)
I know. I'm nuts.
I'm bad always, but this time of year, it seems my cheapness hits even harder.
Usually, as I am rummaging through scraps of material, our storage room, and our closets trying to piece my kiddos costumes together. Lex and I usually find most of the get-up on our Saturday morning garage sale outings, but like most second hand items...things are missing.
I always spend a few outings hitting dollar stores and the local thrift shops trying to finish up, and in the end costumes are usually safety pinned together and a little crooked, but I'm happy.
Money was saved and my kiddos are beaming.
Sometimes I lecture myself (2nd confession: I talk to myself all the time) because I know there is an easier and much faster way (target or online), but I just can't bring myself to ever drop $30 on a costume.
It's just not in me.
Why?
It's a product of my childhood.
(love you mom:))
You see, back then Halloween was different, maybe just in Idaho, or maybe just at my house.
It really seemed that nobody spent a lot. The neighborhood kids ran from house to house in old overalls with a cowboy hat or one of their daddy's shirts ripped up with fake blood spatters. 
But at our home we took it a little further and repeated favorites.
In fact, if you look back, you'll see that I was a witch for about 8 of my 12 trick or treating years.
I know what you're thinking...that must have been one awesomely wicked costume!!
Nope.
It consisted of a floppy hat, a broom, and a big black garbage sack with 3 holes cut out for arms and my head. Wow. The memory just brings a smile to my face.
Though we looked a little homeless and definitely never won any costume contests...me, my sister, and my two brothers (who actually were usually dressed up as hobos) were as happy and content as can be.
So thank you mom for always teaching me the lesson I will always try to remind myself:
Less is More.

Just because I want to remember this...
2008:: Tinker Bell & Peter Pan
Tink: skirt and scrunchie $5.99 at a craft fair, wings $0.25 at a garage sale
Peter: felt $2 at Hobby Lobby
Grand Total: $8.25
2009::Ariel & Flounder
Ariel: costume $1 at garage sale, wig free from my mom
Flounder: hat $0.25 from garage sale, yellow felt $1.25 Hobby Lobby
Grand Total: $2.50
2010::Annie Oakley & Frank
Annie: entire costume $3 garage sale, gun $1 dollar store
Frank: Hat $1 dollar store, bandana $1 Hobby Lobby, gun $1 dollar store
(boots part of lexi's)
(oh yes, and gigi will be a cow this year which I paid $2 for when Lex was a babe)
grand total: $7.00

*******************
Tonight we are headed to a Halloween party. Bet you can't guess what I will be!?
yep. a witch.
What can I say, it's grown on me.
Don't worry though. The garbage bag will be left for the garbage.
I've upgraded to a black dress! :)

Have a Spooky Thursday!

7 comments:

Erin_C said...

amen! i can't believe how expensive costumes are, even for babies. i love all these costumes. we always did "homemade" costumes growing up and they were the best. our ward trunk or treat is saturday and i still have no idea what carly is going to be. she won't leave anything on her head or body that isn't regular clothes. currently straining to think of something creative :)

Tricia Lovato said...

It was the same at our house growing up and I loved it. Mom always threw something together for us. I have resorted to buying mostly because after working all week my creative juices go right out the door. However, say some prayers that I will only be working a few more months and then next year I am all over something creative. I would love to go garage sale shopping with you miss killer deals. I need some serious lessons on saving money everywhere I can if we are going to make this work :) BTW....the kids costumes are perfect. Hopefully we run into you guys in the neighborhood.

Julie said...

The reason this post makes me laugh, is because I'm a lot like you, and grew up a lot like you.... However I store bought Tyler's outfit last year - and let me tell you this. I HAVE GOTTEN my money's worth! $17 for clothes for an ENTIRE year. I'll take it...
hahaha

debbie joy said...

less is always more in my book. They look adorable and very well put together. I love your posts you are one amazingly creative and talented gal. I'm thrilled if you think i had anything whatsoever to do with that. Love MOM

Burke family said...

I love it! You are so awesome Kristin! But I have to disagree on one thing... I'm thinking back to some of our Idaho days and I'm pretty sure you never looked anything close to homeless! :) I remember the awesome frizzy permed hair at about age 12. (I had some for a while too) But homeless... not even close!

Rachel said...

It can't be possible for me to love u more! You are the funniest girl. I do the exact same thing when it comes to filling up the shopping cart. lol

A said...

I think it's a Utah craze. These people are Halloween aholics!!